Fake It Till You Bake It: The Art of Crafting Realistic Fake Cakes
The World of Fake Cakes
Have you ever seen a stunning cake that looked so good you almost didn't want to eat it? What if I told you artists make these cakes from foam, paint, and other craft supplies?
Welcome to the world of fake cakes, where skilled artists create stunningly realistic cakes purely for aesthetic purposes. It's a trend that has taken the baking world by storm, with more and more people turning to the art of crafting fake cakes. Creative people use these fake cakes from weddings to photo shoots to add color, kitsch, and beauty to any occasion. In this article, I'll dive into the world of fake cakes, exploring the techniques used to create them, their many uses, and why they've become so popular. So, whether you're a baking enthusiast or simply someone who appreciates art, get ready to be amazed by the colorful world of fake cakes.
Popular occasions for fake cakes
Try using fake cakes for weddings, photo shoots, birthdays, and other special occasions. With a fake cake, you don't need to worry about it melting or getting damaged in transport.
Aside from special occasions, you can enjoy fake cakes as part of your everyday life! Many people use cakes as decor in any room in their home! I have a fake cake on the shelf in my office, which brings me great joy every time I see it!
Fake Cake Inspiration: Fake Cakery
Julie Nguyen is the artist and professional baker behind the fake cake company Fake Cakery. Julie grew up with a passion for baking and began her culinary education and career as a baker at the age of thirteen. Her business specializes in producing realistic-looking fake cakes for home decor, photoshoot props, and food styling sets. She is currently pursuing a BFA in Film Production but works with other mediums, including foam, the base of Fake Cakery, which she runs whenever she isn't in the bakery or the classroom.
Julie and I collaborated to create this adorable DIY fake cake kit, which includes all the supplies you need to make a fake mini cake! I chronicle creating a fake cake using materials from our kit in this simple DIY.
Materials needed for crafting fake cakes
Our Fake Cake Craft Kit has all the supplies you need to make an adorable fake cake!
You can also gather materials on your own. To make a fake cake, you will need the following items:
- Round styrofoam cake dummy
- Fake fruits, flowers, cake toppers (optional)
- Lightweight spackling
- Pastry bag with a star tip and nozzle
- Acrylic Paint
- Palette knife
Step-by-step guide to crafting a fake cake
Crafting a fake cake is not as difficult as it may seem. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by deciding on the type of fake cake you want to create. Select your design, and gather all the necessary materials.
- Add paint to your fake frosting to tint it. Acrylic paint works great for coloring frosting!
- Frost your foam circle. Save a bit of fake frosting for decorating
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a decorating tip with fake frosting.
- Decorate your fake cake! Try out different designs like a connected star pattern and swirls.
- Add finishing touches like fake fruit and flowers.
- Let it dry for 24-48 hours.
Check out our detailed blog post here that will guide you through making a fake cake!
Tips for creating realistic fake cakes
Creating realistic-looking fake cakes requires patience and attention to detail. Here are some tips to help you make the perfect fake cake:
- Take your time and work slowly. It's better to get the details right than to rush and end up with a poorly crafted cake.
- Use reference images to help you create the details on the fake cake. Look at pictures of real cakes to understand how they are structured and decorated.
- Use a variety of colors and textures to create a realistic-looking cake. Real cakes have a variety of surfaces, from smooth to rough, and a variety of colors.
- Use a mix of materials to create the details on the fake cake. Add fake fruit, vintage charms, glitter, or other decorations to your cake! I love these realistic-looking cherries! You can add actual cake decorations to your fake cake, like candles, cake toppers, or faux flowers. Tip: instead of using candy sprinkles on your fake cake, make them out of polymer clay or buy them here! Candy sprinkles will melt when they touch the fake wet frosting. Trust me. I've made this mistake!
Decorating fake cakes
Fake cakes are becoming increasingly popular, and for a good reason. They are perfect for adding a touch of color and whimsy to any occasion without worrying about them getting ruined. Crafting fake cakes requires a few materials, patience, and attention to detail. With the proper techniques, anyone can create a stunning fake cake that looks like the real thing. Whether you're a baking enthusiast or simply someone who appreciates art, the world of fake cakes is worth exploring.