Online Workshop 3/21: Felting Basics - Abstract Landscape
This online workshop takes place on Sunday, March 21st, from 11 AM - 1 PM PST via Zoom Meeting. You will receive login directions before the workshop.
In this workshop, participants will learn about felting while making an abstract landscape using wool roving and pre-felt. Needle-felting is a calming and repetitive process that doesn’t require any previous experience. This project appeals to perfectionists as well as those who like to work more organically.
We will discover how to recognize and use different types of wool and felting needles and explore techniques for shaping and applying the wool to create an image. We will also talk about atmospheric perspective in a landscape and how to use this in your design.
You will nearly complete one landscape during the workshop and then have wool and tools left to make more felted creations. Participants have the opportunity to customize their artwork by choosing different color combinations, compositions and adding additional detail.
Choose from two booking options:
1. Supply your own materials! For this class, you will need a needle felting multi-tool, two extra felting needles (one larger and one smaller gauge), a foam needle-felting block (at least 4 x 6 x 2"), a 5.5 x 7.5” piece of pre-felt in tan or your desired color (if you can’t find pre-felt, you can also use real wool felt cloth), wool roving in gray, dark brown, yellow, brick red, black, and indigo, and a 5 x 7” shadow box for display.
2. Purchase a kit from us that includes:
- Needle felting multi-tool
- Two extra needles
- Foam needle-felting block (4 x 6 x 2")
- Pre-felt background approx. 5.5 x 7.5” in tan
- Wool roving in gray, dark brown, yellow, black, brick red, and pre-felt in indigo
- 5 x 7” shadow box frame in birch for display
About the instructor:
Faye Kendall is a fiber artist, designer, and educator living and working in California's Sonoma County.
- Local Pickup is not available for this class
East Coast: If ordering a kit 5-6 days before the class, you need to select Priority Shipping to ensure your package arrives in time. The cutoff for delivery is five days before the event.
West Coast: If ordering a kit three days before the class, you need to select Priority Shipping at checkout to ensure your package arrives in time.